A Roanoker for the past thirty-five years, Art has established himself as a preeminent trial attorney in many practice areas including personal injury, medical malpractice, products liability, and criminal defense. His years of experience are highlighted by a number of landmark cases and verdicts. He is a familiar face at nearly all levels of the state and federal court systems.
Art received his undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received his law degree from the University of Virginia. After law school, Art served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable James C. Turk in the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia. Art followed his clerkship by serving as U.S. Magistrate for the Western District of Virginia.
Currently, Art is a board member of Unity Church of Roanoke Valley and A.H.A.L.A., American Hands Aiding Latin America Youth. Art is fluent in Spanish.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S.
- University of Virginia, J.D.
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Criminal Defense
- Product Liability
- Commercial Litigation
- Family Law
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Virginia Bar (includes all Virginia state courts)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Roanoke Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Angle v. Overton, 235 Va. 103, 365 S.E.2d 758 (1988).
- Holland v. Shively, 243 Va. 308, 415 S.E.2d 222 (1992).
- Middlekauf v. Allstate, 247 Va. 150, 439 S.E.2d 394 (1994).
- Sons of Confederate Veterans v. Commissioner of Va. Dept. of Motor Vehicles, 288 F.3d 610 (4th Cir. 2002).
- Bussey v. E.S.C. Restaurants, 620 S.E.2d 764 (Va. 2005).
- Falwell v. Flynt, 797 F.2d 1270 (4th Cir. 1986), rev’d 985 U.S. 46, 108 S.Ct. 99 (1988).